So what did 2011 look like? to me, this was a year of general stability compared with previous years. As I enter my third year of PhD and in Hong Kong, things have become strangely familiar and oddly routine, which is something I was sort-of looking forward to after years of moving around and trying to enter the right path.
To give you a quick insight into my 2011, here are some of the highlights of my 2011 as they were reflected in my blog posts:
Mainly spent time exploring Hong Kong and visiting local exhibitions –
- Peng Chau : HK’s intimate island,
- Peng Chau : Island Life and People,
- Hong Kong Israeli Film Festival 2011,
- HK Science Museum: Marvelous Inventions of Leonardo da Vinci,
- Hong Kong’s Flower Market : Kowloon,
- Hong Kong Cultural Centre Concert Hall,
- HK Arts in the Park 2010 : CWB
Visited Taiwan for the Chinese Newyears :
See my Taipei 7 days trip suggest itinerary.
Posts about this year’s visit :
- Zhi Nan Temple : Taipei,
- Shida night market : Taipei,
- Shilin Night Market Food Court,
- Beitou : Hotsprings in Taipei,
- Taipei International Flora Exposition,
- Sanxia : Old Street & Zushi Temple,
- Yingge Old Street : Taipei County,
- Ghost Lake: Beitou’s Thermal Valley,
- Maokong Gondola : Cable Car & Lion Dance,
- Pavilion of Dreams : Taipei International Flora Exposition.
Also caught up with some Taiwan visit from last year :
- North Eastern Taiwan : Exploring by Train,
- Jinguashi–Gold Ecological Park,
- Eastern Taiwan : Highway 9 & 11.
Passed the PhD qualifying exams – Temple Fortune Telling : Passing the Qualifying Exams/
Visited Guilin and it wasn’t a very good experience – Elephant Hill Scenic Park : Guilin, Jingjiang Prince City & Solitary Beauty Peak : Guilin, Sun & Moon Pagodas : Guilin
Saw my first China factory – Game Factory in Guangzhou : Visit Summary #1 ; Game Factory visit to Guangzhou : Part #2.
In HK – Hong Kong Flower Exhibition 2011, Power Plant – HK 39th Arts Festival 2011
In HK – started doing Couchsurfing hosting, and met some wonderful people :
- Western Market : Sheung Wan ,
- Man Mo Temple : Sheung Wan ,
- Heritage 1881 : Grandest HK Shopping ,
- Thieves‘ Market: Cat Street @ Lascar Row
Hiked around HK a bit –
- Monkeys in Hong Kong,
- MacLehose Trail Section 6: Kowloon Reservoirs,
- Hiking Peak Circular Walk towards Pok Fu Lam Reservoir
And in Shenzhen – Happy Valley : Shenzhen
Visited the states on an academic trip to University of Michigan –
- University of Michigan campus : Ann Arbor,
- Michigan and State Theaters : Ann Arbor,
- Business versus Law Schools : University of Michigan.
Followed by a quick tour from Canada down to Washington DC :
- Downtown Toronto : Revisit Thoughts,
- Bata Shoe Museum : Toronto,
- National Zoological Park – Smithsonian Institute : Washington DC,
- National Aquarium : Baltimore,
- Arlington National Cemetery : Virginia USA,
- Watkins Glen – Finger Lakes : New York,
- Hershey’s Chocolate World : Pennsylvania,
- Great Falls Park : Washington DC,
- National Botanic Gardens : Washington DC
In HK – Art HK 11: Hong Kong International Art Fair 2011
In HK –
- Down SOHO Central HK : Sunrise,
- Sham Shui Po : Apliu Street Electronics Flee Market,
- Studying in HK: University Apartments & Flatmates
In nearby Shenzhen –
In nearby Guangzhou – Israeli Kosher Falafel in Guangzhou : Surreal
In HK –
- Hiking Dragon’s Back Trail : Shek O Country Park,
- Golden Bauhinia Square,
- Pixar – 25 Years of Animation : HK Heritage Museum Exhibition,
- Hong Kong’s International Book Fair 2011,
- Figurines : Anicom Exhibition 2011,
- Cosplay : 13th Ani-Com & Games HK Expo (ACGHK 2011),
- Einstein in Hong Kong : HK Science Museum Exhibition,
- Sai Kung Peninsula,
- Flying Gliders on Wilson Trail Stage 4,
- HK International Travel Expo 2011
Visited a factory in Dongguan – Paihong : Taiwan Paiho Factory in Dong Guan
Visit the Philippines for the first time –
- Panglao Island – Bohol : Alona Beach,
- Kagusuan Beach : Siquijor ,
- Carbon Market : Cebu City ,
- Northern Beach Siquijor : Playing with local Filipino kids,
- Yap Sandiego Heritage House : Cebu City ,
- Fort San Pedro : Cebu City , Chocolate Hills : Bohol ,
- Lugnason Falls : Siquijor ,
- Southern Beaches of Siquijor : Local Kids ,
- Cock Fighting – Authentic Filipino Culture : Siquijor, Philippines
In HK –
Finally finished summarizing my Balkans trip from last year.
In HK – Tin Hau Fire Dragon : Mid Autumn Lantern Festival 2011
Visited Seoul in Korea for the second time –
- Namsan Hanok Traditional Folk Village,
- Kimchi Field Museum,
- Kickass street performances near Hankuk University : Dongdaemun-gu – Seoul,
- Apgujeong – Once in a Blue Moon : Seoul,
- Seoul N Tower : Korea
Visited Israel to attend my sister’s wedding –
- Neve Tzedek : Tel Aviv,
- Sukkot Holiday : “The Sukkah Speaks” Exhibition,
- Empty House : Jerusalem Squatting Underground Art Scene,
- Jerusalem’s Empty Streets of Yom Kippur
Caught up on some Israel visits from last year :
- Bahai Gardens and Shrine : Haifa,
- Jerusalem’s Ghost Valley Weekend Farmers’ Market,
- City of David : Jerusalem,
- Frishman Beach : Tel Aviv,
- Mamilla – Jerusalem,
- Machne Yehuda Market : Jerusalem,
- Shem Tov Levi with Maimon Cohen Live at Hebrew University,
- Lepers’ Home: Hansen Hospital-Talbia,
- Houses of Talbiyeh : Jerusalem,
- Rosh Hanikra : Northern Israel,
- Old City Acre : El-Jazzar Mosque & Alleys
Around HK – Lan Kwai Fong Carnival 2011
Visited Shanghai again but these posts are actually summaries from my last year’s visit-
- Shanghai’s Urban Planning Exhibition Center,
- Xin Tian Di : Shanghai,
- Shanghai Municipal History Museum,
- Shanghai Museum, Taikang Road Art Centre Shanghai,
- Jewish Refugees Museum : Ohel Moishe Synagogue Shanghai,
- Yu Yuan-Shanghai’s Old City Gardens,
- Art Museum : Shanghai,
- City God Temple : Shanghai,
- Shanghai’s New Pudong Area At Night.
- See my summary into Shanghai trip 5 days travel suggested itinerary.
Finally summarized my Cambodia visit.
Overall, this year I’ve been to Taiwan, Korea, Philippines, United States, Canada, with numerous visits to mainland and around HK. A somewhat humble year compared with 2010 (bit more like 2009).
Still lots of posts lined up from this year’s travels. It seems like no matter what I do I’m always around 4-5 months behind and the gap is only getting larger.
Other than that…
My online activities include :
- Fili’s World Facebook page has a 180+ fans. It’s really not much, but I did get to meet some terrific people who follow my blog through Facebook. Some have become good friends.
- My Twitter account has a 1000+ followers. Met some terrific people who follow me through Twitter.
- Filian.org was setup to aggregate all my Twitter tweets. To me, Twitter is a social Google Reader and I use it to find interesting links and write quick thoughts for me to remember.
- Mgto.org includes some of my slowly maturing academic thoughts and experiences, as I make the transition from management organizational behavior to a more core social psychology and experimental design emphasis.
- Itshongkong.org has grown a bit. HKUST is using it for language exchange, and I mainly use it to help people with questions about HKUST and HK.
- Taiwanderful.net ran its 4th annual awards. Who would have thought it would last this long?
Good summary, seems u still have lots of travel. I write years summary also, but can’t compare with yours. I like reading your articles, learnt lot of things including English words;-), very enjoyable:-D
lishu – glad to hear. yeah, i’m very fortunate to be able to see and experience so much.