Kaohsiung City in southern Taiwan is hosting this year’s World Games global event. Taiwan and Kaohsiung are now in final preparations for the games, starting in less than 2 weeks. Following a number of queries by email, following are some personal recommendations for a Kaohsiung itinerary for those planning to visit Kaohsiung to see the World Games and a bit of the area. There are still alot of tickets and available accommodation options all over Kaohsiung City and County – BTW.
If you’re looking for things to do in Kaohsiung, other than the World Games, following is a suggested 7 days itinerary for Kaohsiung City and the area:
Day 1 – Explore Kaohsiung City
- Zuoying and Love River (visit the lake at evening time) : FengShan West Gate, Chi Ming Tang Temple, Spring and Autumn Pavilion and Love River and ZuoYing Lotus Pond – Tiger Dragon Pagoda, Emperor of Dark Heaven, Confucius, and Old City FengShan
- Great views from ShouShan Martyrs’ Shrine in Kaohsiung and “Monkey Mountain”
Day 2 – More of Kaohsiung City
- Cijin Island
- Museums, Cijin island-lighthouse-fort and the Takao British Consulate
- If you have the time and looking for a beach – Sizihwan
Day 3 – Day Trip to Kaohsiung County
- Taiwan Indigenous Peoples Cultural Park (more info).
- Visit local Aboriginal villages.
- Soak in the Maolin Baolai Hot Springs.
Day 4 – Day trip to Kaohsiung County’s Fo Guang Shan
- Touring Kaohsiung County on Tomb Sweeping holiday : The majestic Fo-Guang-Shan temple & Revisiting Fo Guang Shan Monastery with a monk tour-guide . Be sure to book your personal monk guide tour in advance.
- Evening back – Urban Spotlight in central Kaohsiung
Day 5 – Chill out with family & friends
Day 6 – Go shopping
- Kaohsiung’s Dream Mall and the terrific Ferris-wheel ontop of the mall with terrific views of Kaohsiung
- Explore one of Kaohsiung’s night markets – Guanghua Tourists’ Night Market / Singjhong Tourists’ Night Market / Nanhua Tourists’ Shopping Center
Day 7 – Day trip to Little Liu Chiu
- Kaohsiung County : The beautiful Little Liu Chiu Island
- Grab terrific fresh seafood at the nearby Dong Gang
- (More info on the area from China Post)
Still got some extra time? More about the Kaohsiung attractions and hot spots on the Taiwan government travel website. Feedback and other ideas are very welcome.
(Update : I’m not very familiar with accommodation in Kaohsiung, but since a few of you asked – Taiwanderful has a few recommendations for budget accommodation in Kaohsiung, and you can also check Agoda for a few more)