It was a while ago last August, but I never got around to summarizing my wonderful trip to Istanbul to visit my sister who was living in Istanbul at the time.
Following is a summary of that visit with a suggested itinerary for those visiting this beautiful city.
Generally, in Istanbul there are a number of things you do everywhere :
- Eat delicious Turkish food. Drink lots of the local tea and coffee.
- Enjoy the lovely and lively Turkish people.
- Listen to Turkish music and dance alot.
Now, when it comes to attractions, there are a few musts :
- Spend long hours staring at, walking around, sailing on, swimming in… the Bosphorus. We did!
- Blue Sultan Ahmed Mosque, Hagia Sophia Ayasofya , and the Tomb of Sultan Ahmed. Generally explore the old city and take a rest at the lovely Gulhane Park.
- Wonder around in the Covered Grand Bazaar and the Egyptian Spice Bazaar.
- Church of Saint Savior in Chora – Istanbul
- Watch the The Mevlevi Order of Whirling Dervishes
- Istanbul’s Ortakoy Mosque
- Verebatan Sarnici Basilica Cistern
- Fish Market Street.
- Go a dip and a scrub at a local Hamam.
For a selection of hotels in Istanbul, check these accommodation options.
Enjoy Istanbul! I know I did.