I finally made it to Beijing. It took over three years of living in Hong Kong but it finally happened, and I have my father to thank for that. Beijing was our last stop in a trip that started in Hong Kong, went up north to the Shanghai-Nanjing-Suzhou area and then all the way up to the capital city.
Both my father and I enjoyed our visit, and never expected Beijing to have so many wonderful public parks and gardens. I personally was especially impressed with the artsy trendy parts (798). There are a lot of world-class attractions that make Beijing a prime destination. If only they would somehow find a way to deal with the pollution, the traffic, and the domestic tourist congestion, Beijing could truly become a place worth lingering.
This post summarizes our trip with a suggested itinerary for a 4 days 3 nights quick visit. If you have longer to spend there is plenty more to see and do. If you’re in need for accommodation recommendation, we were happy with our stay with the Beijing Novotel Xinqiao, walking distance from the Forbidden Palace , the hutongs and the central parks.
Day 1 : Central Beijing
- Tiananmen Square : Beijing
- Zhongshan Park : Beijing
- Forbidden City : Beijing
- Jingshan Park : Beijing
- The Imperial Gardens of Bei Hai Park : Beijing
- Be sure to visit the hutong neighborhoods near by.
- Wrap it up with Wangfujie and some Extreme Street Food : Dong Hua Men Night Market Beijing .
Day 2 : Beijing East
- 798 Art District : Beijing
- Samsung camera launch event : 798, Beijing
- Lai Tai Flower Market : Beijing
- Chaoyang Sun Park : Beijing
- Wrap it up at Sanlitun : Beijing
Day 3 – Day trip to the Great Wall
You’ll want to book those in advance on your first day in Beijing. Be sure to check the weather and pollution forecast before booking.
- The Great Wall of China : Badaling – Beijing
- Thirteen Tombs of Ming Dynasty : Beijing
- Wrap it up with Acrobatics & Traditional Performances : Laoshe Tea House – Beijing
Day 4 – Local culture and Summer Palace:
- Temple of Heaven (Tiantan) Park : Morning Exercise in Beijing
- Summer Palace : Beijing
- Wrap it up with Puccini’s Tosca : National Centre of the Performing Arts – Beijing