So what did 2019 look like?
After a year of being back in Hong Kong, following the return from Europe, the 2nd year was surprisingly nomadic. I spent most of the year in and out of my base, almost constantly on the road, so this year – perhaps more than ever – pushed my boundaries to the edge. It’s been a rewarding year, but also an exhausting one, where I needed to consider how to find more balance, to be able to roam the world and maintain some feeling of having a base.
This year I’ve explored more of my Hong Kong base, with revisits to mainland China (Guangdong), Portugal, Israel (x3), Thailand, Italy (x2), France, Belgium, Netherlands (x2), Singapore, United States (x2), Central America, Croatia, Austria, Japan, Taiwan, and first visits to Malta, Guatemala, Slovenia, Sweden, and Nepal.
So, here’s a quick summary of my 2019 in travel…
Started the year in Portugal…
- Serra da Estrela Natural Park : Portugal
- Leiria castle & Batalha monastery: Portugal
- Viseu and mountains around Porto : Portugal
- Buddha Eden Gardens near Obidos : Portugal
- Visions of Porto : Portugal
- Visions of Coimbra and Obidos : Portugal
- Visions of Viseu and surrounding mountains : Portugal
had a quick visit to Israel…
Spent Chinese new year in Thailand, first in Bangkok, then Koh Samui, and finally up north in Chiang Mai, 14 years after this being my first introduction to Asia. Towards end of the month made my way to Italy, to start with a winter school in Padua, then down to Rome, and a quick trip to Malta.
- Hmong Village and Doipui Waterfall : Chang Mai
- Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep : Chiang Mai
- Icon Siam shopping mall : Bangkok
- Bangkok Design Week 2019 Fusion Forward
- Siriraj Medical Museum : Bangkok
- China Town : Koh Samui
- Bhubing Palace : Chiang Mai
- Royal Park Rajapruek : Chang Mai
- Visions of Chang Mai : Thailand
- Visions of Koh Samui island : Thailand
- Visions of Bangkok : Thailand
- Golden Bay, Bugibba St Pauls Bay, & Red Tower : Malta
- Visions of Mdina Old Town : Malta
- Dingli cliffs, Ħaġar Qim, & Blue Grotto : Malta
- Walking tour of Valletta highlights : Malta
- Visions of Malta
Made my way to Paris France, then toured up to Belgium, and Netherlands.
When back in Hong Kong, did trips to the nearby mainland China Guangdong province.
- Visions of Chaozhou : Guangdong China
- Yingxi Fenglin Corridor Scenic Area : Guangdong
- Gulong Xiayuan Ecology Tourist Zone : Qingyuan Guangdong China
Had a visit to Singapore, followed by a trip to the United States.
- Visions of Baltimore : Maryland
- Amish Farm and House : Lancaster
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens Folks Art Museum
Visited central America, and visited the United States again (Washington)
Traveled to Israel…
Made my way back to Amsterdam, and ventured to Croatia, Italy, Slovenia…
- Zagreb walking tour and attractions : Croatia
- Visions of Rijeka : Croatia
- Visions of Split : Croatia
- Visions of Hvar Island : Croatia
- Visions of Zagreb : Croatia
Austria, Israel, Netherlands, and Sweden
Ishigaki, Okinanawa, Japan
- National Taiwan University campus : Taipei
- National Cheng Kung University campus : Tainan
- Visions of Kaohsiung : Taiwan
What to expect in 2020?
Will continue the same gig in Hong Kong, which is going through some difficult time. I have some trips planned for Australia and New Zealand, and really hoping to make it to South America and Central America. Will most probbaly be in North America and Europe during th summer. It’s going to be a busy travel year. Either way, new adventures coming up, definitely something to look forward to.
Have a great 2020!