One gorgeous weekend a few of us from HKUST set out for a short hike not too far away from the university at Clear Water Bay. First stop – Clear Water Bay Country Park which offers a really nice family hangout of BBQ and kite flying area surrounded by the very short and enjoyable Clear Water Bay Tree Walk where you can explore some of the local flora while overlooking the surrounding islands of Sai Kung.
AFCD has a good intro for the Clearwater Bay Tree Walk :
Distance : 1.55 km Time required : 30 minutes
This is a 1.55 km tree walk in Tai Hang Tun. Cutting across dense woodlands in the mid slopes, it features 15 stops with information on different plants. The route is lined with interesting flora, including Laurel Sweet-leaf (Symplocos cochinchinensis laurina), Square-leaved Chinese Laurel (Antidesma ghaesembilla), Monkey-pod (Archidendron clypearia), Bamboo Orchid (Arundina graminifolia) and Thistle (Cirsium hupehense). Frequented by butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies, this green path is an ideal family walk
Quite scenic, isn’t it?
And as you approach the BBQ area, more and more kites come into sight…
If you’re interested in the tree walk trail and the promised trees…
Here’s a map of the whole area and the tree walk :
Public Transport Information from AFCD :
Public transport routes to Clearwater Bay Country Park are :
- KMB bus no. 91 (Plaza Hollywood in Diamond Hill – Clearwater Bay 2nd Beach);
- Green Minibus no. 103M (Tseung Kwan O MTR Station Public Transport Interchange – Clearwater Bay 2nd Beach);
- Green Minibus no. 103 (Kwun Tong Ferry Pier – Clearwater Bay 2nd Beach);
- Green Minibus no. 16 (Po Lam, Tseung Kwan O – Po Toi O);
- Red Minibus (Ngau Chi Wan Minibus Terminus – Clearwater Bay 2nd Beach).
Other related links: