Xiamen was a very pleasant surprise. It’s not too crowded, quite tourist friendly, very well developed, and has a special charm which combines the scenic beauty of a coastal city with lots of colonial and regional history.
To summarize my trip to Xiamen, following are the posts I wrote about my short visit to Xiamen with a suggested 4 days 3 nights itinerary.
Gulang Island (Day 1 & Day 2, stay 2 nights)
- Local Street Food : Gulangyu Island – Xiamen
- The Houses of Gulang Yu : Xiamen
- Shuzhuang Garden : Gulang Yu Xiamen
- Haoyue Park – Zheng Cheng Gong : Gulang Yu Xiamen
- From around Gulang Island : Xiamen
Attractions in Xiamen (Day 3 and 4)
- Xiamen University Campus
- Nanputuo Temple : Xiamen
- Hulishan Fortress : Xiamen
- Chinese Street Food : Zhong Shan shopping street – Xiamen
- Guanyinshan Sand Sculptures Cultural Park : Xiamen – Golden Beach
Other (Day 4):
If you have a couple more days to spare, you should take the ferry over to the Taiwanese Jinmen islands and explore the islands. I really wanted to do that, it’s one of the few places in Taiwan I haven’t been to yet, but time was limited and so I had to give that up. Hopefully next time.